Sunday, October 6, 2013

Fermented Mango Salsa

Makes 1 quart

3 1/2 cups diced mango
1/2 cup diced pineapple
basil leaves if you have them
healthy bunch (1 - 1.5 cups) chopped cilantro (key!)
whole bunch of love (also key!)
1 cup minced onion
5 grams salt
1/2  finely minced, seeded jalapeno
zest of 1/2 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon

Mix together in a bowl and spoon into 2 pint jars, 1 quart jar, or 1 liter pickl-it/Fido.  Compact, tap sides, wish it well, put on cap and don't forget water in airlock :-)
     
This is originally a pico de gallo recipe I converted for fruit.  All mango would be yummy, but I happened to have some pineapple around so I added it.  Peach could be exciting in it, too!  I happened to have yellow onion but think red might be really nice.  Garlic would be a tasty (and good for you!) addition ~ either at the beginning or right before serving.  Experiment with a splash of orange juice or a little brine if you'd prefer juicier/sweeter/saltier.  

Use your own personal tastes and room temperature to guide how long you let it ferment.  I think anywhere from 2 - 5 days is a good guideline. 

On a personal note ~ this recipe, for me, screams fish tacos.  Yum!   But I don't see it lasting long enough after all of my sneak spoonfuls from the jar so I think I have to double or triple the recipe next time. 

Here is a picture of this lovely ferment!  The yellow rubber band around the lid makes it easier to get the lid off (Thank you Lynna for this awesome idea!).

UPDATE:  Celia made a batch of this yesterday (the one pictured above was from Lynna).  Here is a picture of this lovely ferment.  I used red onion and an Asian pear instead of pineapple.  Anxiously waiting to eat this super yummy ferment!

No comments:

Post a Comment