Friday, October 4, 2013

Sweet potato custard. No wait. Sweet potato flan. Or maybe sweet potato pudding?


I wish I could tell you how much I truly love this recipe.  I implore you to try it :-)  Pretty please with molasses on top. <3  Love, Lynna

Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato, approx 1.5 cups.  Steamed and pureed
1/4 cup molasses.  or honey.  or a mix.
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4+ tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice 
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
pinch of clove
sprinkle of nutmeg and cardamom if you are so moved
heaping scoop of love
5 eggs, beaten
1 and 1/4 cup coconut milk.  (It is good with cow milk, but outstanding with coconut.)
2 tsp vanilla extract 
coconut oil, butter, or ghee for oiling ramekins, coffee mugs, pyrex dish, etc

OPTIONAL GARNISH:
3 TBS shredded coconut, unsweetened 
1 and 1/2 TBS brown sugar (or coconut sugar.  or probably other sugars of which I am unfamiliar.)
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Fill roasting pan with 1" water, place in oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

Basically, you want to mash and mix everything very well.  I blend sweet potato with coconut milk to cool it and then add everything else right to the blender and whirl away.

 Pour into baking vessels.  I use a mix of little mugs and different sizes of small pyrex dishes to bake.  They all seem to get done at similar times.  I think doing it all in a pie plate would be swell, too. 

Mix topping ingredients together and then sprinkle on, if desired.
Place in water bath.  Bake 35-40 minutes.  Center can be slightly jiggley.  Carefully remove from oven and let cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment